hollyc

Beyond the Pages

Super obsessed with books, especially classics. Now spending the next 3 years of my life studying books. So now my life is basically one big mountain of books!

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger Honestly, this book was a disappointment. I hoped I'd like it more, but ultimately, I think the hype got to me a bit, and I know many people who hate it. Although I didn't rate it very highly, Holden didn't piss me off like I thought he would. I think his touching moments with his sister, and his conversation with the nuns really made me think that he's actually an alright guy. Sure, there are times when I wanted to punch him in the face, but ultimately, his character interested me. I'd say I'm quite a focused person, I like planning my life and knowing whats going on - makes me feel secure I guess. I think because Holden is so different: he's happy just to go along in life and doesn't really care about anything, I actually wanted to understand him. What I did like was Mr Antolini's advice. Definitely spoke to me!

Nevertheless, the lack of plot, abrupt ending and overall general disappointment got to me. Hence my rating. While Holden surprised me, the rest of the book did not. On the other hand, I understand why people would love this novel: it's the kind of one people do. But ultimately, Holden isn't the kind of person I am, so, on the deeper level, I didn't connect with the book as much as I expected.

Favourite Quote: Nobody's be different. The only thing that would be different would be you. Not that you'd be so much older or anything. It wouldn't be that, exactly. You'd just be different, that's all. You'd have an overcoat this time. Or the kid that was your partner in line the last time had got scarlet fever and you'd have a new partner. Or you'd have a substitute taking the class, instead of Miss Aigletinger. Or you'd heard your mother and father having a terrific fight in the bathroom. Or you'd just passed by one of those puddles in the street with gasoline rainbows in them. I mean you'd be different in some way—I can't explain what I mean. And even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it.